Salesforce is the world’s top CRM provider, and Salesforce and its ecosystem are expected to enable the creation of 4.2 million new jobs and $1.2 trillion in new business revenues worldwide between 2019 and 2024.
The growing popularity of a Salesforce as a CRM has given rise to job roles like Salesforce developer, Salesforce admins, and Salesforce consultants.
Hiring these talented professionals is a major challenge for tech recruiters because of many reasons: scarcity of talent, not having clarity about job roles and responsibilities, and not having the right tools to measure proficiency of candidates. All of these problems lead to hiring a candidate that does not fit for the job role. In the next few minutes, we’ll try to help you to define the skills required, job roles and responsibilities, and educational qualification for the different roles of a Salesforce professionals.
I) Hiring Salesforce developer:
Roles and responsibilities of a Salesforce developer:
• Creating triggers
• APEX development
• Creating complex workflows
• Development of Visualforce pages and Lightning components
• Responsible for developing in Visualforce, Apex, Java, AJAX, and other technologies to build customized solutions that support business requirements and drive key business decisions
• Define, communicate, and manage a change management (release) process to develop and implement new applications/code and updates to existing applications/code
Salesforce developer skill set:
• Design and build high-performance, reusable, and reliable code with Apex, Triggers, Visual force, and Lightning Component
• Ability to work with Salesforce data migration
• Experience with different API’s like SOAP and REST-based Web Service APIs, the Bulk API, and the Metadata API
• Experience in designing custom objects, custom fields, picklists, page layouts, workflow, approval processes, validation rules, custom tabs, reports, Visualforce pages
Educational qualification for Salesforce developer:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS, or related field
• Certified Salesforce.com Developer (any of Salesforce Certified Platform App Builder, Salesforce Certified Platform Developer I, Salesforce Certified Platform Developer II)
II) Hiring Salesforce admin:
Roles and responsibilities of Salesforce admin:
• Handle all basic administrative functions including user account maintenance, reports and dashboards, workflows, and other routine tasks
• Manage Salesforce.com data feeds and other integrations
• Regular internal system audits and prepare for upgrades
• Troubleshooting email campaigns, workflows, approval cycles, or auto-responders that generate excessive bounced mails
• Examine SFDC error and debug logs for any surprises
• Run field utilization reports to identify any new sources of data pollution.
Salesforce admin skill set:
• Ability to develop and maintain custom utilities in Apex and Visualforce, including API and email service endpoints
• Familiarity with chatter administration for Salesforce classic and distributed marketing administration
• Document system configuration and administrative processes
• Familiarity with configure, support, maintain and improve CRM platform
• Ability to work with workflows and triggers to automate tasks
Educational qualification for Salesforce admin:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Certified administrator (Any of Salesforce Certified Administrator and Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator)
III) Hiring Salesforce Consultant:
Skills required for Salesforce consultant:
• Highly proficient with Salesforce CRM
• Excellent project management skills
• Knowledge of related technologies like Visio, Jira, and Object-Oriented Programming languages
• Good with aptitude skills so they’re able to quickly adopt the future releases and understand its effect on framework
• Understanding of software development methodologies like Agile and Waterfall
Roles and responsibilities of a Salesforce consultant:
• Design, configure, and implement Salesforce.com solution as per clients’ needs
• Develop business requirement, specification, and process flows
• Work with Apex, Visualforce, application integration, and data migration
• Manage projects design, creating timelines, and maximizing the utilization of hours
• Guide other team members
• Identify system deficiencies and provide a solution
• Documentation of all the required data
Educational qualification for a Salesforce consultant:
• Bachelor’s Degree / B.S. in computer science
• Certifications like advanced Salesforce developer, advanced Salesforce admin, Salesforce sales cloud consultant, Salesforce service cloud consultant, Salesforce service cloud consultant
If you’ve nailed your job description, consider half of the job done. Discuss with your hiring manager to tweak these pointers as per the roles and responsibilities of the candidate you are about to hire and use it in your job ads.
The next challenge that tech recruiters face is quantifying the skills required for the technical job roles. Skills assessment is one of the time-consuming tasks as you are dealing with hundreds of resumes even if there is single vacancy. Merely interviewing candidates does not reveal the true experience of the candidates and may lead you to a bad hire. Online Salesforce assessments can rescue you from this hassle and help find out right fit candidate which you can pass to the hiring manager for the tech interview round.
Hiring the right Salesforce professional can be a challenging task. It’s critical for business to get a Salesforce professional with the right functional and technical skills to implement Salesforce solution successfully and achieve the maximum ROI. If you keep the points mentioned above in mind, it will help ensure you get the best Salesforce professional for your team.
I am an Entrepreneur and Angel Investor. Board Member of TiE SoCal Angels Fund, and CEO @ Optizm Global, the executive search firm. We are a Right Fit Recruitment & Placement Agency.
I’m the Co-Founder of “StartupSteroid” the platform to connect founders with investors.
As an Angel Investor I look for Business Plan, Cashflow, Core Team, Board of Advisors, Secure IP, Quality Investors, Monetization Models, USP, Scalability, Strong Returns, Growth Market, and Board Role.