What are the biggest challenges you face in your hiring process? It is 1000$ question all recruiters and HR professionals have in their minds. As an HR professional or a recruiter, your responsibility is to provide top-quality candidates for your partner company. But selecting the top candidates for the company helps recruiters and managers to run the company smoothly. However, managing the process manually and then cross-checking and matching each applicant’s skills, experience takes tremendous time and is a lengthy process. It takes ample time if you are recruiting for a large organization. So how can you manage such an interview process? The answer is using the right talent sourcing tools and screening techniques. The best way is to use the upgrading interview method. In this method, recruiters save time and increase the match compatibility of the job. To learn about the process and the interview process, continue reading this blog. We have discussed in detail how to take an interview and on the hiring process. We can assure you it will be absolutely bliss reading till the end.
What is Topgrading?
The topgrading process was first used in booming business in the 80s and 90s in the USA. This term was given by Bradford D Smart and is one of the most efficient methods for hiring corporate hiring and interviewing. It is a 12 step process to identify the most qualified candidate for a particular position. The main motto behind this method is to get the right and most qualified A-grade candidate for the job. In this method proactively, seeking out the most talented people while deploying people with lesser ability. This is one of the most critical hiring processes used in recruitment.
Why should you utilize topgrading?
The topgrading interviewing process is not the best idea for all businesses or companies. It’s an intense process that is used to acquire A-grade employees for their organizations. This process is used to hire CEOs, VPS, etc., positions. When you hire for a leadership position, you need to be sure of their skills and knowledge. Then use this technique, I also would like to mention that it is not the best technique for all job positions.
The 12 step process of the hiring process:
These twelve steps are:
- Improve your current hiring process: Look at your current methods before making the changes and also understand what works better for your company and whatnot.
- Create a job scorecard: Look at the position and understand what you need in this position. Follow this step before starting the recruiting process. Look at the scoreboard.
- Recruit candidates: You need to have a complete detailed job description.
- Screen candidates with work forms: Ask detailed questions to the candidates that include reasons for leaving the job, likes and dislikes of your past jobs, self-appraisal, and many more such questions.
- Plan telephone or video interviews: In this process, you can screen the candidate for at least 45 mins and understand. It helps to narrow down your field.
- Do competency interviews: this focuses on learning and performance.
- Handle a topgrading interview: In this step, the recruiters focus on the candidate’s entire career history and ask questions about every position.
- Implement feedback and coaching to interviewers: This helps you improve the process by giving feedback.
- Write a report: In this step, each recruiter writes up an account of each candidate. Help to know about each of the candidates in a better way.
- Have the applicant arrange reference calls: In this step, you understand how the applicant had rapport with his previous managers, as good performers will have great relationships.
- Train the new hire: Topgrading process doesn’t end on the candidate’s first day, but make sure to make this a good environment and excellent place to grow for the new joiner.
- Level hiring progress annually: When you have created a process, you need to measure it at least once to understand and trace the recruitment metrics. It helps to improve the process.
After reading this blog, you are now aware of taking an interview to get an “A grade” candidate. However, we wish we have provided you all details on topgrading the interview process step by step, so do follow these steps and let us know your feedback. If you need any help or specialist advice on hiring, we are here to guide you. Feel free to connect with us. Happy recruiting!
I am an Entrepreneur and Angel Investor. Board Member of TiE SoCal Angels Fund, and CEO @ Optizm Global, the executive search firm. We are a Right Fit Recruitment & Placement Agency.
I’m the Co-Founder of “StartupSteroid” the platform to connect founders with investors.
As an Angel Investor I look for Business Plan, Cashflow, Core Team, Board of Advisors, Secure IP, Quality Investors, Monetization Models, USP, Scalability, Strong Returns, Growth Market, and Board Role.